Thursday, May 24, 2012

Protective Style Challenge: 139 Mini Braids

Ms. LA and I are doing Beads, Braids, Beyond's protective style challenge.  A protective style is a style that is meant to provide the hair with less manipulation and promote growth.  The object of the challenge is to choose a hairstyle that you will not have to comb, brush, style for at least a week.  You can not use beads, rubber bands, barrettes or any other type of accessory that will put stress on the hair. I chose to do mini braids because I wanted to challenge myself to make her style last the entire month of May. I did 139 mini braids in LA's hair on April 28, 2012.
On Week 2, I wanted to try something different with the braids so I braided them going forward and I put flexi-rod in the front to create a bang. I used Africa's Best herbal oil on her scalp and some eco styler gel on the front to make the curls last.
I had to wash LA's braids between week 2 and 3. I washed her hair and ran some Cantu leave in conditioner through the braids and braided them together to reduce the frizz.  I put bands around the braids to try to keep them from sticking up all over her head.
After her hair dried, I took her braids loose and the mini braids were crinkly all over.  I decided to style her hair in a crinkly mohawk.  I simply put her hair in 3 ponytails going down the middle of her head.

For week 3, we kept it simple.  I rewet her hair to try and get her braids to lay down after it was all crinkly.  Then, I just added a ribbon to the front.
Between week 3 and 4, I had to redo some of LA's mini braids since she decided that she wanted to style her own hair.  The braids were so frizzy at the end after she got a hold of them.
We are now at week 4.  For this week, I kept it simple and girly with pigtails.  Since we only have a week left, I did the front in cornrows instead of more mini braids.
We are almost to the end of our challenge.  I can't believe we've made it this long.  This is the longest I have gone without styling her hair and it is really making a difference.  I think we will make protective styling a part of our routine. Giving her hair and scalp a break ever so often will help to maintain her healthy hair.  

Thanks for reading
Nace









7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it of course! I have been going back and forth about doing mini braids on BG "S" and you have officially inspired me especially since our little ones are the same age. I'm still not pleased with the thought of taking them down :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The message below is for you. I clicked comment instead of reply. Still new to this :-). If you copy and paste the link, it will take you to the YouTube video. HTH

      Delete
    2. Lol, I did that before too...you can delete it though! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way about the take down too until someone introduced me to this method. LIFE SAVER! I tried it on her front braids when I had to redo them and it works.
    I hope the link works

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lv8GUrYlSM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This video was posted in the group and when I first watched it, I was like wow! But I'm wondering if it will work on my daughter's texture (her hair is not fine). Did you try this method, if so how did it work for you? BTW, I'm gonna start her braids tonight (deep sigh).

      Delete
    2. It WORKS. I took her braids out yesterday and it REALLY was a lifesaver. I won't say it worked perfectly every time, I'd say 8 out of 10 times but it really helped . It was harder to do on the really skinny braids and you have to make sure you use oil or conditioner to give the hair a lot of slip. It is definitely my new go to method.

      Delete
    3. Ok, I will have to give it a try when its time. I always soak her hair in oil before removing her two strand twists but I saw CHVC use conditioner so I think I may try conditioner this go round as well. BTW, I started her braids early-early this morning before she woke up but I plan on finishing tonight. Thanks! :)

      Delete